About Brett Cowell
Brett Cowell is a principal of CC Strategic Advisory.
Brett has many years’ experience as a corporate and commercial lawyer and business advisor, working at senior levels across a very broad range of businesses and industries in Australia and extensively overseas. He frequently advises and works closely with chairs, boards and senior staff of companies from those listed on ASX to fast growing entrepreneurial companies.
In the roles of managing partner and executive chairman over 25 years, Brett has been responsible for leading the outstanding growth and success of Cowell Clarke, Commercial Lawyers (www.cowellclarke.com.au). He has led the firm from a two lawyer start-up to a firm of over 100 personnel with offices in Adelaide and Sydney, acting for corporate and commercial clients throughout Australia and internationally.
Brett has a particular interest in science and technology. He has been a leader in Cowell Clarke in its development of on-line, portal based legal service offerings.
Brett has held directorships or equivalent roles in a range of companies and not for profit organisations for over 25 years. He has a passion for companies, their effective governance and their strategic and day-to-day advancement.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Company Directors Course
- Strategic Financial Skills
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Diploma Tax Accounting
- Mastering the Boardroom
- Notary Public
- Very substantial business and technical expertise in equity and debt market capital raising; corporate governance including ASX and ASIC compliance; mergers and acquisitions in Australia and internationally; take overs and schemes of arrangement; an extensive range of complex corporate and commercial transactions
- Financially literate
- Served on finance and audit, remuneration, capital management, investment and strategic planning board committees
- Australian and international protection and commercialisation of high value intellectual property assets
- Strong interest in science, technology and the digital environment. Cyber security aware
- Worked in multiple jurisdictions, with substantial hands-on transactional experience in the United States, South East Asia and Europe
- Able to both lead and work at board level and within teams in a co-operative and constructive manner
- Many years’ experience with innovators and start-ups. Has led 3 start-up businesses to success and maturity
- Senior executive employment terms, including share and option plans and other long term and short term incentive arrangements
- Board diversity, performance, assessment and improvement
- Experienced over a very broad range of business and industry categories
- Highly analytical; able to quickly learn and apply complex sets of information
- Strategic in approach with long term organisational growth and management experience
Brett will be with you all the way, guiding you through the process and making it as easy as possible to find strategic solutions.
I have worked with Brett Cowell on projects both regional and global in scope. He has the skill and vision to formulate and carry out strategic goals. He also possesses the tenacity to master the details to achieve those goals.
I have been impressed by his reservoir of knowledge about Australian business and law. Brett delivers these capabilities to clients from around the world.Michael Murphy
Brett is the kind of guy you would like on your side as an advisor.
He is the type of lawyer whom you can rely on in any issue; business-minded, authoritative and having integrity.Gabor Damjanovi
Bridgestone has sought Brett’s advice many times. We trust him. He has a deep understanding of our business, knows where we are coming from and what we aim to achieve. He is a very capable man.
Brett has a deep understanding of our business and international business, with enormous capability to advise in this many areas.Andrew Moffatt
I’ve been seeking advice from Brett for a long time. Our company has been acquired, purchased other businesses, been active internationally and relocated offices. Because of this, our parent company legal advisors have changed, but I have always referred to Brett for complicated matters.
Brett knows our business. I don’t have to explain it. He understands our genesis and has a deep level of knowledge that provides continuity. He just knows where we are at, how far to push, what we stand for and our principals.Glen Simpson